~ 2023 Hurford Youth Fellowship Program ~
The Hurford Youth Fellowship Program seeks to build the leadership skills and harness the potential of young democracy activists from around the world.
Through the Program, young activists spend three months at the World Movement’s Secretariat, during which they expand their global connections, share experiences with other activists from democracy movements around the world, and contribute to the development of the World Movement for Democracy.
Hurford Youth Fellows engage in strategic meetings; conduct research; and organize and lead presentations, online discussions, and information-sharing sessions on key democracy issues.
- Each fellow will receive a monthly stipend for living expenses, plus basic health insurance and roundtrip travel to and from Washington, D.C. Stipends take into account the cost of living in Washington, D.C. Fellows are provided with a fully equipped office, including internet and email access, and a limited budget for fellowship-related long distance phone calls.
- Applicants should bear in mind that the cost of living (housing, furniture, food, and other essential living expenses) in the Washington metropolitan area is very high and that fellowship stipends are not calculated to cover the financial needs of a family.
- Applicants interested in the Hurford Youth Fellows Program must be no older than 30 years of age.
- They must demonstrate strong interest in democratic activism and in the advancement of democracy in their respective communities, as well as worldwide.
- Youth affiliated with civil society organizations are especially encouraged to apply.
- A working knowledge of English is an important prerequisite for participation in the program for general communication purposes. All application materials must be submitted in English.
- Fellows will be selected by the World Movement Secretariat staff, NED regional program staff, and the Hurford Youth Fellowship Alumni Network following an application process. Selection will be based on a set of criteria including demonstrated activism or interest in the advancement of democracy, a desire to network with others, and a clear explanation of how the fellowship will benefit their own efforts for advancing democracy
All application materials must be submitted by July 31, 2022.
Applicants are asked to submit the following:
- Applicant Form
- Two Letters Of Recommendation